Updated Resources_August 2016:
- Burgstahler, Sheryl. Ph.D. (2015). Equal Access: Universal Design of Distance Learning Programs. The Center for Universal Design in Education, University of Washington. http://www.washington.edu/doit/equal-access-universal-design-distance-learning-programs
- Article makes the case for maximizing online learning opportunities for all students, including those with disabilities.
- Burgstahler, Sheryl. Ph.D. (2015). Creating Video and Multimedia Products That Are Accessible to People with Sensory Impairments. http://www.washington.edu/doit/creating-video-and-multimedia-products-are-accessible-people-sensory-impairments
- Article provides specific design suggestions to address media accessibility for bind and hearing impaired students. Includes links to a variety of resources.
- Oswal, S. K., & Meloncon, L. (2014). Paying attention to accessibility when designing online courses in technical and professional communication. Journal of Business and Technical Communication, 28(3), 271-300. doi:10.1177/1050651914524780
- Article provides a review of literature and a case for “paying attention” to accessibility early in the course design process. While the primary focus is on writing courses delivered online, principles and strategies offered have broad applicability.
- Taylor, Michael A. (2016). Improving Accessibility for Students with Visual Disabilities in the Technology-Rich Classroom. PS: Political Science & Politics, 49, pp 122-127. doi:10.1017/S1049096515001134.
- Article examines the development of accessibility for blind students in political science courses; barriers and instructional strategies are addressed using a classroom-based course example.
- CAST, Inc. UDL (Universal Design for Learning) at a Glance. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDvKnY0g6e4
- Defines and provides rationale for instructors’ application of universal design to accommodate diverse needs of students. Video models use of captioning.
- Kaltura. (2016). Case Study National University: Designing for Accessibility. http://corp.kaltura.com/sites/default/files/National%20University%20%20REACH%20case%20study.pdf
- Vendor-presented example of one university’s adoption of ADA compliant captioned video across its Blackboard learning management system.
- Microsoft. (2016). Video: Check Accessibility of a PowerPoint 2010 presentation. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Video-Check-accessibility-of-a-PowerPoint-2010-presentation-a911b631-d1ac-4ade-8130-20177752581c
- This short video shows how to use the Accessibility Checker in MS PowerPoint 2010 (and later versions). This feature notes areas of a presentation that need adjustment for access by those with visual or hearing disability points briefly to accessibility features within PowerPoint.
- The Center for Universal Design in Education, University of Washington. (2015). Distance Learning: A Case Study on the Accessibility of an Online Course. http://www.washington.edu/doit/distance-learning-case-study-accessibility-online-course
- Offers an example of online course accommodation for blind students.
- The Center for Universal Design in Education, University of Washington. (2013). Dr. Doe’s Internet Course: A Case Study on Accessible Distance Learning. http://www.washington.edu/doit/dr-does-internet-course-case-study-accessible-distance-learning
- Presents the case for having, and proactively promoting, policy and standards for accessibility of electronic and information technology resources for online teaching and learning.
Original Supporting Resources:
- The University of Illinois at Chicago Strategic Plan for Increasing Undergraduate Success: Task Force Recommendations. p. 14